Bring Insteon back to life with
Home Assistant and Elan
Insteon shut its doors in April 2022 and sadly many homes were left without control. The clever folks at Home Assistant have come up with a solid way to be able to control the little devices bringing back some life to what was surely an Insteon cemetery.
There is a great guide here that walks the user step by step on how to integrate Insteon with Home assistant.
In a nutshell, according to the guide, once you have HA up and running:
- Browse to your Home Assistant instance.
- In the sidebar click on Configuration.
- From the configuration menu select: Integrations.
- In the bottom right, click on the Add Integration button.
- From the list, search and select “Insteon”.
- Follow the instruction on screen to complete the set up.
Now of course you need Home Assistant up and running. There are several ways of doing that.
- Download and image and install it on any device including RPi, Odroid, PC, MAC, Linux, Asus Tinker. There is a great guide on how to do that here. If you go this route, we highly recommend the Odroid hardware.
- If you can get your hands on Home Assistant Blue hardware, that is a great option. Unfortunately, that piece of hardware has been hard to come by lately.
- Purchase one of our hardware devices specifically designed to run our drivers.
Once your devices are configured in HA and are working to your liking, time to break out the Elan integration from Innovo.
We have created a driver that will talk to Home Assistant and operate all the light and switches from Elan with full feedback and control. More details on the driver here.